Cleaning your dentures with the proper techniques and products is important in keeping your dentures looking as good as the day you got them. Here are a few tips to keeping your dentures clean of plaque, stains, and odours:
- Fill your sink with a little water to avoid any breakage or chipped teeth while cleaning your denture.Fill your sink with a little water to avoid any breakage or chipped teeth while cleaning your denture.
- Use room temperature or cold water to clean your denture (hot water can warp your denture)
- Use a non abrasive denture cleanser and denture brush to brush your dentures on the tissue side(inside) and around teeth. To get between teeth, use a tapping motion and angle your brush. Denture cleansers that are safe for cleaning your prosthesis are, Polident denture paste, Polident foaming cleanser, liquid soap, or oxyfresh non-fluoride tooth paste.
- Place your denture in water or a soaking solution over night or when not wearing it. Avoiding to do so might dry out your denture and cause it to be brittle.
- A denture soaking solution will disinfect your denture to kill the bacteria and fungi that spreads in your denture. Types of disinfectants may include Polident tablets, Novadent, or other denture soaking solutions. Be sure to only use denture safe soaking solutions.
- Using a soft bristled tooth brush, brush your gums, cheek, and tongue to remove plaque and to stimulate circulation to help keep your gums healthy.
In the morning rinse and brush your dentures well to remove any remaining residue.